Front doors or entry doors are one of the most important part of your home. They help with energy efficiency, insulation, security and of course, they are aesthetically essential. In this article,on Antique Glass Ltd, we will provide you with a guide on everything about fiberglass front doors.
Exterior doors are made of different materials such as steel, wood, fiberglass etc. Wooden doors offer a great looking appearance, but they require more maintenance over time. Steel doors are superior in strength and insulating value, but they’re easily dented and scratched. There is a third option for homeowners who want a customized entry door, superior energy efficiency and low maintenance cost: It’s called fiberglass.
If you are looking for best doors in London with high quality material, make sure to give us a call. Our staff will provide you with expert advice.
What you need to know about fiberglass front doors
Fiberglass doors are great for mimicking the look and feel of a wooden door. While they aesthetically resemble wooden doors, they are more durable and resistant than wood.
Fiberglass doors are made from the same family of glass-fiber-reinforced polymers used to craft airplanes and surfboards. These super-durable doors won’t warp, rot, shrink, or swell like wood doors.
If you want to have look at the anatomy of fiberglass front doors, you can see the picture below.
These doors are made of glued-on fiberglass skins and rigid insulating foam. An interior frame of wood or composite rails and stiles forms the exposed edges.
Fiberglass entry doors might seem a great option for many houses. But of course, they have advantages and disadvantages. So if you are about to choose a material for your entry door, you should consider your needs, your style, your climate, etc. and then compare them to the pros and cons of fiberglass exterior doors.
Pros and cons of Fiberglass front doors
Fiberglass has both advantages and disadvantages that buyers should understand before purchasing doors. So, is a fiberglass door a right choice for you? Let’s take a look at its advantages and disadvantages.
Advantages of fiberglass front doors
- Versatile and durable – Fiberglass doors are available in a complex range of styles, colors and finishes to fit every home exterior. And if you tire of the appearance of your fiberglass door over time, repainting is always an option. Fiberglass is more durable than other materials; it resists dents and scratches well.
- Energy efficient – Fiberglass doors are energy efficient which means that they keep your home warmer in winter and cooler in summer.
- Secure – When properly installed, fiberglass doors offer superior security. Your entry door is only as secure as its frame, but composite door frames have twice the screw-holding power of wood. Additionally, fiberglass doesn’t deteriorate over time like doors manufactured from steel or wood.
- Low maintenance – The only routine upkeep needed is regular cleaning with a damp cloth. Because fiberglass doesn’t expand and contract, temperature swings don’t degrade the finish.
Disadvantages of fiberglass entry doors
- It can crack – A fiberglass door won’t dent, but the skin can crack if it takes a hard hit from something or gets banged up during the delivery of your new range.
- A bit pricey – Because of its versatility, superior insulating power, durability and convenience, fiberglass remains one of the more expensive door options on the market. While cheap fiberglass doors are available, they’re not recommended.
- It might not fit – Some fiberglass doors can’t be trimmed at all. Others can be trimmed only along the top and bottom. So make sure it perfectly fits your home.
How much does a fiberglass exterior door cost?
The cost of fiberglass exterior doors largely depends on the installation company and of course, the quality of the doors.
If you want to receive suggestion and quotes, you can call Antique Glass Ltd. now and discuss your options and price with our experts.