If you are thinking of buying a new front door and you don’t know if a steel or a fiberglass door is a better option, you are in the right place! In this Fiberglass vs steel doors article, we will compare and contrast the these popular materials for entry doors.
When people come to your house, the front door is the very first impression they get from your home. but aside from the aesthetic aspects, entry doors can play a significant role in your home energy-efficiency, insulation, security, etc. So it is absolutely important to choose the right material for your door. here is what you need to know about fiberglass vs steel doors.
Also, if you are looking to order best doors in London, you can call us today for consultation and free quote.
Steel front doors
When choosing a front door for your home, if durability and security are your top concerns, then a steel door is the perfect choice for you. When compared to wood and fiberglass doors, steel doors are the strongest. Steel doors are also very easy to repair. A steel door does not warp or dent easily and any dent or mark can be easily repaired.
When it comes to the price, a steel door is more affordable in comparison to wood and fiberglass. However, you must consider that a steel door with extra hardware and sidelights could cost as much as a wood door. The inner frame of a typical steel door is made of wood though steel can be used if you want to make it stronger.
Traditional steel doors used to have a gray industrial-type look, but this has changed over the years. Nowadays, typical steel doors have a smooth surface and resemble a real wood finish. Steel doors may need occasional repainting if you want it to look as perfect as its first day. If durability is priority for you, premium steel doors have a vinyl coating that can stand harsh climatic conditions such as scorching sun and rain.
In fiberglass vs steel comparison for price, the total cost of a steel door can be more pocket-friendly that a fiberglass door. But the price can vary widely depending on door style and options chosen. Consider that the steel entry doors’ energy efficiency ratings will vary based on overall construction and components included.
Fiberglass front doors
If you live in harsh and humid climates, then the experts’ recommendation for you is fiberglass doors. Fiberglass doors are low maintenance and can last for years. In fiberglass vs steel comparison, the biggest advantage of fiberglass doors is that they are strong, they provide great insulation, and resemble real wood. Fiberglass entry door systems are engineered to be highly energy efficient.
If you want look and feel of traditional wood doors but with the long-lasting performance and quality, textured fiberglass doors replicate the grain of any wood type can offer you what you want.
When it comes to security, adding multi-point hardware will increase the performance of fiberglass doors. Also, fiberglass doors are more secure when compared to wood doors. For example, if someone tries to kick the door or punch through the panel with a sharp object, the surface will not dent. When it comes to energy efficiency, fiberglass may be a better option in comparison to steel. These front doors respond well to humidity and temperature change and they prevent condensation.
Fiberglass vs steel doors
The front door of the home is the protective layer between you and the outside world. To make a better selection of door material for your home, it is important to consider the differences outlined below.
- Appearance – Fiberglass doors come in many styles, colors, and grains. They can be painted and customized. Steel entry doors cannot be painted to match the home and they come in fewer styles and options.
- Energy efficiency – Both fiberglass and steel doors are more energy-efficient than wooden doors. but fiberglass doors are more energy-efficient than steel doors due to the long lifespan and ability to work with the weather.
- Security – Steel entry doors provide more protection than fiberglass because they are made of a thicker, more protective material.
- Durability – Steel is more likely to scratch and dent than fiberglass. However, this does not penetrate the inside of the door. Fiberglass also gets dents and dings. If struck hard enough, the fiberglass might crack. Steel, however, will stand strong in this case. Fiberglass is a material that does not rust with time, making it a longer-lasting option for a front door.
- Maintenance – Fiberglass doors can be wiped down, painted, and repainted to the homeowner’s liking. They can be oiled and sprayed with a pressure washer to keep clean. Steel doors should not be hosed down often because they can rust.
- Costs – The cost of fiberglass and steel doors varies widely depending on the style, quality, and size. The cost of installation also varies depending on the installation company. But in general, fiberglass doors are more expensive in terms of the material and installation.
Buy Fiberglass and steel doors in London
As you can see in the fiberglass vs steel doors comparison, the right door for you can vary depending on your needs, expectations, budget and climate.
Choosing a new entry door can seem like a simple or purely aesthetic choice at first glance. But as an entry door can play a huge role in the comfort and efficiency of your home, you need to put time an consult experts to choose the one that’s right for you.
If you are looking to buy fiberglass or steel doors in London or Home counties (Berkshire, Buckinghamshire, Essex, Hertfordshire, Kent, Surrey, and Sussex), you can trust Antique Glass experts for professional help. Call us today to receive your free quote.